Communities and Justice

Records DCJ keeps about you

Caseworkers must keep documentation every time DCJ sees a family. The records can be things like reports, safety and risk assessments, Family Action Plans for Change, and notes about visits with your family.

Sometimes people will be named as a person causing harm (you might also see this written as PCH) on DCJ records if assessments have given enough information to show a person has harmed a child. Most of the time, if people are recorded as a person causing harm, a caseworker will tell them about it and let them know why. Any comments about it will be noted on records.

All DCJ records are confidential but can be accessed by DCJ staff. It is against the law to delete or destroy records. The Children’s Court can also ask to see DCJ records. By law, other courts and some other government agencies can access some of these records.

You can ask the caseworker to see any notes or documents they have written about you. It can also be good to keep your own notes.

Accessing your records

If you do not feel that you have seen all of the information you are asking for, according to the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 you can apply for copies of records about you.

In addition, under the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 you have a right to see the personal and health information DCJ holds about you. You also have a right to ask that we change that information if you believe it is incorrect.

For both steps, you can apply online or by post through the DCJ Right to Information Unit. Ask the caseworker if you need some help.

DCJ Right to Information 
Open Government, Information and Privacy  

Last updated:

05 Jul 2024