Communities and Justice

Find a JP

JP Public Register

You can find a Justice of the Peace (JP) using the online Public Register. You can search by postcode, name of a JP, day of availability, language spoken and JP registration number.

The register lists a JP’s location, availability and telephone number. Please note that JPs are volunteers and may not be available at all times.

For help using the JP Public Register, read the guide JP Public Register - Find a JP (PDF, 349.7 KB)

Interpreter services

If you have difficulty reading or understanding written English, both you and the JP are required to use an interpreter when you sign a statutory declaration or affidavit. This applies even if the JP speaks your language.

The interpreter should be accredited through the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI). For a list of accredited interpreters, please visit

You can also access interpreter and translation services from:

Multicultural NSW
Phone: 02 8255 6767

Translating and Interpreting Service
Phone: 131 450

Statutory declaration by an interpreter

Suggested wording for a statutory declaration by an accredited interpreter or by other interpreters can be downloaded from NSW Statutory Declaration Forms.

Legal help

If you need information to help with a legal problem, please contact LawAccess NSW. You can call LawAccess NSW on 1300 888 529.


Last updated:

18 Oct 2023